Friday, May 17, 2013

Jewel's Hand Song Was My Anthem

It was Bethany, or maybe it was Matt; not quite sure of that detail.  The nickname, though, I am very sure of was granny hands.  My hands are etched with lines, deep ones, surface ones; mainly just all over ones.  The most spoken phrase to me remains, "Have you ever heard of lotion? <always commented in shock and awe>  To this day that question hovers over any new introduction which involves a handshake.  However back to Bethany and Matt and hands that look like Granny's.  This was my introduction to Kindergarten.  Friends were my peers who didn't notice or maybe just didn't touch my hands.  But those friends, were my introduction to socializing.  No longer do I question my awkwardness.

My granny hands touch the keys that make the words that you are reading now.  These hands today have truly learned of friendship.  Of course there was pain, and hurt feelings.  But, never could I have appreciated today as I do, had I not carved out that bit for joy to come in.  Thanks Mr. Gibran.

It's no secret that I am pretty close to maxed out.  The baffling map that holds my "mama instructions" has been written in Greek upside down and backwards, in invisible ink.  Jealous yet? No big. I got this.  In a large circular roundabout, I find my point.  I stand today, and I laugh today only because of the amazing women in my life offer me the safety in which to do so.  Later-in-life friendships were as foreign to me as hand pride.  Little did I know that I would need these women  more now than I ever did as a child navigating elementary school.  So this is a shout-out to all of you that keep me and my granny hands moving forward.  If you think you are one of those friends then you absolutely are. 

Thank you,
Etched, veined, and waxy hands

No comments:

Post a Comment